Low adherence dressings
Knitted viscose primary dressing
- 5 x 5cm (£0.35), 7.5 x 10cm (£0.36), 10 x 20cm (£0.81), 20 x 30cm (£2.23)
- Change frequency/ wear time = up to 7 days
- Non medicated, polyester mesh dressing impregnated with neutral triglycerides
- For use on superficial / small crater type wounds for easy removal of dressing.
- May help to reduce pain on dressing change
- 9.5 x 9.5cm (£0.34), 19 x 9.5cm (£0.64)
- Change frequency/ wear time = depends on exudate/ strike through
- Silicone coated, knitted viscose dressing.
- Primary wound contact layer – low adherence.
- Non absorbent – a secondary dressing will be required.
Soft silicone wound contact layer
- 5 x 7.5cm (£1.12), 7.5 x 10cm (£2.15), 10 x 18cm (£4.47), 15 x 25cm (£7.49)
- Where a soft silicone coated polyester non-adherent wound contact dressing is indicated Cuticell® contact is the formulary choice rather than Mepitel®
- Does not stick to a moist wound, only surrounding skin and does not damage newly formed granulating tissue or epithelial cells
- Specialist areas such as A&E, MIU and Plastics will often use Mepitel®, when wounds are re-assessed Cuticell® contact should be considered as a suitable alternative
- In the case of topical negative pressure to line vessels, ligaments and tendons, Cuticell® contact would be the preferred option
- Can be used when low adherence is required
- Useful for fragile, delicate skin, skin tears, children, epidermolysis bullosa (EB)
- Can be left in place for seven days changing only the secondary dressing
Perforated film absorbent dressings are suitable only for wounds with mild to moderate amounts of exudate; they are not appropriate for leg ulcers or for other lesions that produce large quantities of viscous exudate.
Dressings with an absorbent cellulose or polymer wadding layer are suitable for use on moderately to heavily exuding wounds.
Absorbent perforated dressing
For lightly exuding wounds
- 5 x 7.2cm (£0.08), 8 x 10cm (£0.18), 8 x 15cm (£0.29), 10 x 20cm (£0.47), 10 x 25cm (£0.58), 10 x 35cm (£0.80)
- 100% cotton and non-adherent
- Use for simple wounds, skin tears as secondary dressing
Super absorbent cellulose and polymer primary dressings
For moderately to heavily exuding wounds
- 10cm x 10cm (£0.49), 10cm x 15cm (£0.69), 20cm x 20cm (£0.99), 20cm x 30cm (£1.49), 20cm x 40cm (£1.99)
- Can be used under compression therapy
For heavily exuding wounds
- 10 x 10cm (£0.84), 10 x 20cm (£1.16), 15 x 20cm (£1.33), 20 x 25cm (£1.82), 20 x 40cm (£2.81)
- 15cm x 15cm (£4.99), 20cm x 30cm (£7.86)
- Oval: 10cm x 20cm (£4.38), 15cm x 20cm (£5.79), 20cm x 30cm (£7.86)
- Eclypse border dressings have a higher acquisition cost in comparison to the non-border dressing.
- Eclypse border dressings should be reserved for use in patients with heavily exuding wounds and should only be prescribed following specialist Tissue Viability Nurse assessment of the wound.
- Do not cut as the edges are sealed and would cause fibre shed
- Not to be used on heavily bleeding wounds
17. Wound Management >
17.12 Basic wound contact dressings
- First line
- Second line