Low adherence dressings
Knitted viscose primary dressing
- 5 x 5cm (£0.27), 7.5 x 10cm (£0.28), 10 x 20cm (£0.63), 20 x 30cm (£1.74)
- Change frequency/ wear time = up to 7 days
- Non medicated, polyester mesh dressing impregnated with neutral triglycerides
- For use on superficial / small crater type wounds for easy removal of dressing.
- May help to reduce pain on dressing change
- 9.5 x 9.5cm (£0.33), 19 x 9.5cm (£0.63)
- Change frequency/ wear time = depends on exudate/ strike through
- Silicone coated, knitted viscose dressing.
- Primary wound contact layer – low adherence.
- Non absorbent – a secondary dressing will be required.
Soft silicone wound contact layer
- 5 x 7.5cm (£1.09), 7.5 x 10cm (£2.09), 10 x 18cm (£4.35), 15 x 25cm (£7.29)
- Where a soft silicone coated polyester non-adherent wound contact dressing is indicated Cuticell® contact is the formulary choice rather than Mepitel®
- Does not stick to a moist wound, only surrounding skin and does not damage newly formed granulating tissue or epithelial cells
- Specialist areas such as A&E, MIU and Plastics will often use Mepitel®, when wounds are re-assessed Cuticell® contact should be considered as a suitable alternative
- In the case of topical negative pressure to line vessels, ligaments and tendons, Cuticell® contact would be the preferred option
- Can be used when low adherence is required
- Useful for fragile, delicate skin, skin tears, children, epidermolysis bullosa (EB)
- Can be left in place for seven days changing only the secondary dressing
For lightly exuding wounds
- 5 x 7.2cm (£0.08), 8 x 10cm (£0.18), 8 x 15cm (£0.28), 10 x 20cm (£0.46), 10 x 25cm (£0.56), 10 x 35cm (£0.78)
- 100% cotton and non-adherent
- For dry wounds or wounds with minimal exudate
- Use for simple wounds, skin tears as secondary dressing
For moderately to heavily exuding wounds
Dry absorbent dressing pads
Surgipads are not indicated as a primary contact layer as there is no non-adherent contact layer.
If a dry absorbent dressing pad is being considered in the management / treatment of leg ulceration a full assessment and diagnosis of underlying aetiology will inform treatment options.
- 10 x 10cm (£0.73), 15 x 15cm (£0.97), 20 x 30cm (£2.14), 60 x 40cm (£8.15)
- Eclypse® can be used under compression bandaging
- Can be used as a primary or secondary dressing
- For use on high exudating wounds
- Should not be cut as the edges are sealed and would cause fibre shed
- Not to be used on heavily bleeding wounds
For heavily exuding wounds
- 10 x 10cm (£0.64), 10 x 20cm (£0.88), 15 x 20cm (£1.01), 20 x 25cm (£1.38), 20 x 40cm (£2.13)
17. Wound Management >
17.12 Basic wound contact dressings
- First line
- Second line