From 3rd July 2020, an interim clinical commissioning policy has been put in place to define routine access to remdesivir in the treatment of COVID-19 across the UK.
- Concentrate for solution for infusion 5mg/ml vials
- Powder for concentrate for solution for infusion vials 100mg
Last updated: 21-06-2021
- Remdesivir is recommended as a treatment option for patients hospitalised with COVID-19 (adults and children aged 12 years and older) in accordance with the criteria set out in the updated policy document (14 June 2021) (see UK interim clinical commissioning policy for more details). The commissioning policy has been updated to allow an extended treatment duration and other exemptions for immunocompromised patients, clarify when a further treatment course might be given following readmission, and reflect exceptions in the eligibility criteria for patients with end-stage renal disease on haemodialysis.
- The maximum treatment course is 5 days in total (comprising a loading dose plus 4 further days of maintenance treatment). For significantly immunocompromised patients a course of remdesivir can be extended to a maximum of 10 days.
- Pre-authorised use of remdesivir for individual patients is required using Bluteq (CEM/CMO/2021/003)
5. Infections >
5.3 Antiviral drugs >
5.3.6 Other antiviral drugs
- First line
- Second line