Guidelines for the management of hypoglycaemia for adults
For NDDH see hospital Intranet (BOB) "Guidelines for the management of Hypoglycaemia in inpatient adults".
Please refer to the BNF for paediatric management.
- Initially 10-20g glucose by mouth (if necessary repeated at 10-15 minutes)
- Glucose tablets = 3 tablets
- Granulated sugar = 2 teaspoons
- Sugar lumps = 3 lumps
- Milk = 200ml
- Glucose drink = 50-55ml
- Cola drink (not diet) =90ml
- Use only glucose/dextrose if patient taking acarbose
- Injection 1mg vial with prefilled syringe (£11.52)
- Adult and child over 8 years (or body-weight over 25 kg), 1mg; child under 8 years (or body-weight under 25 kg), 500 micrograms; if no response within 10 minutes intravenous glucose must be given
- The GlucaGen HypoKit® should be stored at a temperature of 2-8°C. The user can store GlucaGen HypoKit® at a temperature not exceeding 25°C for 18 months provided that the expiry date is not exceeded (as per manufacturer's SPC).
- Oral gel, 3 x 25g tubes (10g glucose per tube) (£7.16)
- Oral gel, 1 x 80g bottle (32g glucose) (£6.84)
- May be a useful treatment to be administered by family or carers. It is only appropriate if a patient's carer could not manage to administer a glucagon injection.
6. Endocrine >
6.1 Drugs used in diabetes >
6.1.4 Treatment of hypoglycaemia
- First line
- Second line