There are important differences between dihydropyridines and other classes of calcium channel blockers.
Avoid the combination of verapamil with a beta-blocker (including eye drops). The combination of diltiazem with beta-blockers should be used with caution.
Avoid verapamil and diltiazem in heart failure.
- Tablets 5mg, 10mg (£0.73 = 5mg)
- Initially 5mg once daily; maximum 10mg once daily
- Patients experiencing ankle oedema whilst taking amlodipine may benefit from a change to lercanidipine.
- Tildiem® tablets 60mg (£41.59 = 60mg three times daily)
- Adizem-XL® 120mg, 180mg, 200mg, 240mg, 300mg (£9.14 = 300mg once daily)
- Slozem® capsules 120mg, 180mg, 240mg, 300mg (£7.80 = 180mg daily)
- Tildiem LA® capsules 200mg, 300mg (£6.29 = 200mg)
- There are pharmacokinetic differences between diltiazem brands and we do not advocate switching patients stabilised on one brand.
- If diltiazem prescriptions have been written generically in the past, the prescriber should attempt to ascertain which brand the patient has been taking and amend the prescription accordingly. If the brand taken has constantly changed, the prescriber should choose a formulary brand and prepare to review the patient and titrate the dose as appropriate.
- The combination of diltiazem with beta-blockers should be used with caution.
- Tablets 10mg, 20mg (£4.68 = 10mg daily)
- Initially 10mg once daily; increased, if necessary, after at least 2 weeks to 20mg daily
- Tablets 40mg, 80mg, 120mg, 160mg (£4.80 = 120mg three times daily)
- Half Securon SR® modified release tablets 120mg (£7.71)
- Securon SR® modified release tablets 240mg (£5.55)
- Prophylaxis after myocardial infarction where beta-blockers not appropriate
- Avoid the combination of verapamil with a beta-blocker (including eye drops).
- Avoid verapamil and diltiazem in heart failure.
- Nifedipine prolonged release tablets 20mg, 30mg, 60mg (£6.85 = 30mg daily)
- 30mg once daily, increased if necessary to maximum 90mg once daily
- Capsules 5mg, 10mg (£19.14 = 5mg three times daily)
- The short-acting nifedipine capsules are not to be prescribed for hypertension or angina.
- General measures, e.g. withdrawal of beta-blockers, stopping smoking, use of hand warmers, should be encouraged before introduction of drug therapy for Raynaud's phenomenon.
- Tablets 30mg
- Intravenous infusion 200 micrograms/ml
- Prevention and treatment of ischaemic neurological deficits following aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage
2. Cardiovascular >
2.6 Nitrates, calcium-channel blockers, and other antianginal drugs >
2.6.2 Calcium-channel blockers
- First line
- Second line